St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, Humboldt, KS
St. Peter’s Lutheran Church has a long history in southeastern Kansas. In the late 1850’s German immigrants moved from Connecticut to Humboldt and began holding services in their homes as they had no minister or building. In 1863, a group of thirteen families sent a call to Pastor F. W. Lange, the first Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod pastor to serve in Kansas. Pastor Lange accepted the call and St. Peter’s became the third oldest Lutheran congregation in Kansas. Their first house of worship was dedicated in 1866 at the corner of Tenth and Pecan Streets.
In 1903 a new church building was erected in the same location. In its mission to serve fellow believers, the pastor of St. Peter’s began traveling to serve other Lutheran settlers in the area, from as close as Iola and Chanute to as far away as Fort Scott, Independence, and Paola. In 1942 some members of St. Peter were released to help organize Zion Lutheran Church in Chanute, KS, and in 1949 more members were released to help organize Grace Lutheran Church in Iola, KS. In 1959 our present facility was built at Tenth and Amos Streets. Today we continue to maintain that spirit of service and care.